There are numerous lifestyle changes and other tactics that can help with snoring. The most cost-efficient, safest, and effective solution is to use a mouthguard to stop snoring. Snoring is a common problem – but it can have big impacts, on the people who snore as well as their partner and even other household members. These impacts range from mild annoyance to increased risks of dangerous medical conditions, and snoring can ultimately harm personal relationships, mental wellbeing, and physical health.
Several factors can lead to snoring, but the results are functionally the same: the tongue, soft palate, and other soft tissues in the upper airways become too relaxed during sleep. The air that passes through the mouth, nasal passages, and causes these relaxed tissues to vibrate and snoring is the result. For some, the tissues relax so much that they partially or even completely collapse, blocking the airway. This causes the snorer to wake, gasping for breath.
Mouthguards to Stop Snoring – How do They Work?
An anti-snoring mouthguard is designed specifically to stop snoring and is used during sleep to mitigate some of the anatomical and physiological issues that cause snoring. Just as a mouthguard be made for contact sports, to retain orthodontic results, or to prevent bruxism (teeth grinding), a mouthguard to stop snoring is created specifically for that purpose.
Functionally, there are two types of mouthguards to stop snoring:
- Tongue Retaining Devices (TRDs) work by gripping the tongue to prevent it from relaxing back into the throat, where it would potentially block airflow. This can be a major cause of snoring in anyone who sleeps on their back.
- Mandibular Adjustment Devices (MADs) work by gently pushing the lower jaw (mandible) slightly forward. This helps to open the airways by altering the position of the muscles at the base of the tongue. Opening the airways is an effective way to minimise or prevent snoring.
Do anti-snoring mouthguards work for most snorers?
There is no cure for snoring, however, there are numerous ways to minimise the issue and prevent it from happening. The best, medical-grade anti-snoring devices can very effectively reduce the symptoms and the associated risks of snoring.
Global research studies demonstrate that a high-quality mouthguard to stop snoring is an effective option for adults of all ages regardless of how severe their snoring is.
Which type of mouthguard is right for you? This will very much depend on your personal preference and the type of snorer you are – more people do prefer the comfort and results delivered when they use a mandibular adjustment device in preference to a tongue retaining device.
- The TRD is not particularly compatible with breathing through the mouth, however, it can be worn with orthodontic braces or dentures.
- The MAD can’t be used with orthodontic braces or full dentures, but it may help prevent bruxism. The MAD can also be worn and is effective regardless of your sleeping position.
Mouthguard to Stop Snoring – What to Look For
A high-quality mouthguard to stop snoring will be:
- Scientifically designed in collaboration with leading medical and dental experts
- Biomedically engineered for the specific purpose of opening the airways without inhibiting sleep
- Crafted from top-quality medical-grade materials
- Customisable for a perfect fit
- Comfortable and safe to use
- Has no sharp or prominent parts or components that could break off
- It will not damage the teeth or other oral tissues and will not strain the jaw or cause aching
- Will not disrupt the sleep of the user or their sleep partner
- Reusable, hygienic, and easy to clean
- Made to last and warrantied with a money-back guarantee
- Affordable and easy to purchase with great service and customer care
The Best Anti-Snoring Mouthguard
ApneaRx is the NZ brand of a revolutionary mouthguard to stop snoring. The device is world-renowned, used by many thousands of people, and it is widely recommended by doctors, pharmacists, and sleep specialists.
There are many benefits of using ApneaRx, including:
- Patented Class 1 Registered Medical Device
- Made from high-quality dental copolymers
- Use in any sleeping position
- Allows for mouth breathing during sleep
- Micro-adjustable in 1mm increments for up to 10 settings
- Safe to use
- Portable and discreet
- Comfortable to wear, and it will not lock your jaw uncomfortably
- Will not damage teeth, gums, or other oral tissues
- Budget-friendly and reusable
- Long-lasting and easy to clean hygienically
- Unisex – one-size-fits-all
- Suitable for use by adults over age 18
The device becomes pliable after being warmed during the moulding process and it will mould to fit your mouth and teeth for a comfortable, custom fit and maximum effectiveness. After up to a week of consistent nightly use, your body will adjust to wearing it and you should begin to experience the positive effects of minimised (or eliminated) snoring and a better quality of sleep.
For more FAQs, click here.
You may also call us on 0800 111 325 in NZ (Monday-Friday 11 am-6 pm) or use our contact form.